October 24, 2010

Clap Your Hands to the Beet


 Roast beetroot is AWESOME! I didn't quite know what to make of them at first, but I was introduced, and it was yummy. So. I saw a roasted beetroot salad recipe by Jamie Oliver - when he was in Stockholm - and I just had to try it. I made some very minor adjustments, but otherwise, it's just full of yummy goodness.

Ingredients:
Fresh Beetroot
Dill
Chives
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar

Wrap the beetroot in foil and roast in a 180C oven for about 40 min to 1 hour. To me, the way to tell a beetroot's cooked is pretty much the way you'd tell a potato's cooked - you stick a fork in and if it gives, it's cooked.

Dice the beetroot into bite-sized pieces. Season liberally with salt and pepper, then add a liberal splash of good quality olive oil and vinegar (once I didn't have red wine vinegar and used brown - it was fine). Snip some dill and chives in, and mix.


Et voila! Awesome, simple beetroot salad that frankly, I eat as a main. And beetroot salad is apparently very VERY good for you. =) =)

All win in my book.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At October 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM , Blogger Cate said...

Have you tried with golden beetroot?? I tried them they other day - they are lovely too!!!

 
At October 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Ying said...

I still don't dare to taste a beetroot. I don't know why. How do they taste like? & I must say, that they kind look like very rare beef cubes. Which wld be tasty when tossed in a salad.

Oh & Tamms, go check out Wong Fu Productions on Youtube. Asia Represent! :D

 
At October 25, 2010 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Ying said...

Oh & that's a really really cute title too by the way. (:

 
At October 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Cate: I haven't actually. Haven't really come across golden beetroot.

Mel: Well, beetroot is...It's kinda sweet, but...I'm actually not sure how to describe them! But yes they do look like raw meat. They actually look like raw tuna cubes to me. I'll make some for you to try sometime, that way you don't have to worry that you don't like them, and I can eat it if you don't.

 
At October 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Ying said...

Ok YAY! Tomorrow? You fly here with your beets? :D

Hee hee. Just joking. I miss you super duper tons babe. TONS. ):

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home