May 17, 2013

Easy Lemon Tiramisu - no sabayon!

IMG_9842

I've still got some Anatoth lemon curd that was sent to me by Beyond the Square - thank you Carrie! I think fruit curds are a fabulous way to recapture that sensation of summer, and the tart lemon curd just brings a spot of brightness to my day.



I saw this great Limoncello Tiramisu recipe from Italian Food Forever that I just had to try out. The best part was that there was no need for a sabayon!! No splitting eggs, no whipping egg yolks and sugar over a bain marie, because the lemon curd did that work for you...this was the easiest recipe for tiramisu ever.

This recipe uses limoncello, and because I don't have a bottle of that at home, I decided to make my own version out of lemon zest and vodka - which is what you'd use in homemade limoncello anyway.

Speedy Limoncello Recipe

You need:
Lemon Zest of 3 lemons
500ml vodka

Soda siphon

IMG_9831

So, inspired by Dave Arnold's post on rapid infusion, I decided to do a little rapid infusion of my own. Basically the idea is that you put a porous product - in this case, lemon zest - into a siphon with liquid, charge the siphon - I used two chargers of nitrous oxide canisters. What basically happens is that the gas pushes the liquid into the porous item, and the rapid venting pushes all the liquid back out, which completes your infusion. I rested the charged siphon for about 5 minutes before venting, and then rested the vented liquid for about 5 minutes before using.

Super simple limoncello.

IMG_9864


Next, the Tiramisu

Lemon Tiramisu 
Adapted from Italian Food Forever

1 Cup Limoncello Liqueur
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Sugar
3/4 Cup Lemon Juice
20 Savoiardi or Lady Finger Cookies (1 Package)

For The Mascarpone Cream:
1 1/2 Cups Cream
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 pot/jar of lemon curd
1 (10 Ounce) Jar Lemon Curd, divided

Bring the liquer, water, sugar and lemon juice to the boil, and reduce slightly.

While the syrup is cooling, mix your mascarpone into the lemon curd. Save some to serve on top of the final dish - I used about 1/2 a pot at this stage. In another bowl, whip the cream and sugar to soft peaks, then fold in your mascarpone and lemon mixture.

Then it's all an assembly job - roll the savoiardi in the syrup (not too long or they'll fall apart), lay them in a single layer on your serving dish, lay the mascarpone cream over the top, then repeat the process. Grate some lemon zest over the top and voila! You have an easy, delicious dessert that helps you cling to the memories of summer evenings on the front porch awash in golden setting sunlight.

I served mine with a dollop of lemon curd over the top and some walnut pieces, because I like that crunch.

IMG_9833

You will have some syrup left over, which you can use in other desserts. It also makes for a refreshing summery lemonade when mixed with a little ice and soda water.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Milktea Eats said...

no sabayon? thank heavens! this looks nice and rfreshing and reminds of summer, my fav season!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home