October 05, 2013

My Chocolate Shoppe, Kiama

IMG_9599

I think high tea has somehow fallen out of popularity. I wonder why, because I've had fond memories of high tea from when I was a kid. My parents would bring me to high tea at a hotel, where everything was shiny and dainty and...mini! As a kid, I thought that high tea was about kids, because everything seemed to be kid sized - itty bitty cucumber sandwiches anyone? - but now I know better.

High tea - in my opinion - isn't so much about the food, it's about the experience. It's about the dainty. It's about the sipping tea and lunching with your friends.



My Chocolate Shoppe is one of the many shops along the main street of Terralong. It's quaint exterior suggested a much more homely feel than the big chocolate shop boys like Max Brenner and San Churros, and the staff were warm and friendly. When I ordered the High Tea, $22, the staff seemed a little confused, so I guess it might not be often ordered, but it was brought out promptly, with minimal fuss, which restored my faith.

IMG_9587

While I appreciated that it was a good selection of what this little cafe had to offer, somehow I expected a little bit more from it. The savoury selection was average at best - the sandwiches and tarts were a touch dry - and the chocolates were incredibly rich.

IMG_9596

Which made them good chocolates, but also made them difficult to finish without something between to cleanse the palette.

But the piece the resistance...

IMG_9592

This place has got some rockin' scones. Soft and crumbly, and smothered in clotted cream and jam. Sometimes scones do leave you with a dry feeling rolling around in your mouth, but this had a fantastic bite and did not leave a chalky aftertaste at all!

If anything else, I would suggest just ordering the scones. From what I understand, the scones are made fresh daily, and at $3.50 a pop, I think it's well worth the visit.

We ate at:

My Chocolate Shoppe
106 Terralong St
Kiama NSW 2533


View Larger Map

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home