December 10, 2013

What I ate: Prosciutto and Dried Fig Canapes

IMG_9999

After making my Peach and Crispy Prosciutto canapés for a party, I learnt a few lessons:

1. Prosciutto is my favourite cured meat for that sweet/salty combo
2. Don't buy so much prosciutto!

I had wayyyyyy too much prosciutto left over because I over estimated how much to buy, and now I've gotta use them up. The answer? This version of Devils on Horseback.

Devils on Horseback is usually made with prunes and bacon, and this fig and prosciutto idea first came to me from Nigella.

I used:

  • Prosciutto (I have prosciutto up to my ears)
  • Dried Figs (I got mine from the Aldi Christmas Specials)
  • Roquefort (I had some leftover from the peach canapés)
  • Habenero Honey from Honeycomb Valley
  • Baby Mint Leaves, to garnish

The rest of it is just a matter of assembly. Simply cut a dried fig into half - or quarters - add a touch of blue cheese, or any cheese you prefer, and roll up in prosciutto. I only needed half a slice of prosciutto for mine, but it would really depend on what you prefer. And how thick your prosciutto is sliced, and so forth. Then when it's all on a platter, I just drizzled the lovely Habenero Honey that I got from Honeycomb Valley and garnished with baby mint leaves from my garden.

If you want to make it ahead of time, this dish is great to hold as little parcels. Simply arrange them on a platter and keep them in the fridge. When you're ready to serve, leave them at room temperature for about 10 minutes - the prosciutto will thank you for it - and drizzle over the honey and scatter those mint leaves!

Simple, and delicious, if I do say so myself.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At December 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM , Blogger gaby @ lateraleating said...

Nice and fancy!

 
At December 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Milktea Eats said...

prosciutto and figs are match made in heaven!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home